Dark Matter: The Matter We Can’t See

Posted by on May 8, 2013
Last Updated: July 16, 2017

A new animation, brought to us by CERN’s James Gillies and TED-Ed animators, gives us a brief tour of those most mysterious of universal quandaries: dark matter and dark energy.

“What appears to be the ordinary stuff of the universe is, in fact, quite rare. Leucippus’ atoms, and the things they’re made of, actually make up only about 5% of what we know to be there. Physicists know the rest of the universe, 95% of it, as the dark universe, made of dark matter and dark energy.”

Speaking of dark matter, the Chicagoland Observatory for Underground Particle Physics (or COUPP-60) is currently busy hunting for signs of dark matter deep below the earth in Ontario, Canada.

There, scientists hope to catch dark matter interacting with normal matter, evidence which will hopefully materialize as bubbles in the lab’s 30-liter chamber of purified water and CF3I. To read more, check out Dark Matter Search Heats Up At Underground Lab In Ontario.

Other dark matter experiments are underway in Italy, South Dakota, Minnesota, and, yes, aboard the International Space Station.

advertisement

Subscribe, For Free!

Subscribe to our mailing list and receive free updates whenever a new post is added

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

About the Author Post by Rob Schwarz Rob Schwarz is a writer, blogger, and part-time peddler of mysterious tales. He manages Stranger Dimensions in between changing aquarium filters and reading bad novels about mermaids.